October 1, 2010
Woosley
Woosley is a sweet, loving boy who stole are hearts in Haiti. He attends the Good Shepherd School and Eric and I instantly fell in love with him. We aren't sure how old he is, but we think about 10 years old. We were told early on not to promise the kids anything, but we had told them we were going to give them shoes on Wednesday..since that was true we figure that isn't the same as promising them something we weren't going to follow through on. So Wednesday came Woosley was so excited because we had promised him that he was getting shoes. When it came time for the kids to line up they put the younger kids in the front and Woosely was towards the middle, well he didn't make it in to get his shoes before they shut us down. I was devastated when I saw his face that day, sobbing because had let him down.
I think leaving him on the last day was harder than leaving our own kids to come on this journey, in part because I wasn't sure if I would ever see him again. One day his mother came to the school and I could see how proud Woosley was to show her off to us. That helped reassure my heart that he is loved because so many of these children get no attention at all from their parents. On our last day I gave Woosely a picture I had of Eric and I and of Sam and Josie, he was so excited. At first he tried to give it back, but when I pushed it towards him and told him it was his he acted like it was Christmas morning. He jumped up and down smiling at Eric and I...at that moment my heart burst. It was something small to remember us by, but it is us who will never forget him. I feel I have to go back to Haiti if nothing else to see Woosley.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment